Our Junior Chefs made these delicious and kid-friendly gingerbread cookies this past week. The gingerbread has a nice, mild flavour that both kids and mamas loved. Depending on your cookie cutter size, the recipe makes about 2-3 dozen.
1. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
2. With a standing mixer using the paddle attachment OR by hand, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses, beating until combined.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating until combined.
5. Divide the dough in half and form into 2 disks. Refrigerate in plastic wrap or parchment paper for 2 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7. On a lightly floured surface OR between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out one of the disks until it’s 1/4" thick all around.
8. Cut out cookies with different shapes and transfer to baking sheet.
9. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
10. Remove to a cooling rack. Decorate the cookies after they have cooled.
1. Place icing sugar and 1/4 cup whip cream in bowl and stir to combine, add more cream by the tablespoon to get desired consistency.
2. Place in a ziplock bag and cut a tiny whole at one end to squeeze and draw with the icing.