An adorable and easy treat to make with kids, these Birds' Nest Treats will have you coming back for more. And with the help of the microwave, you'll be amazed at exactly how easy. If this is the first time you've made Rice Krispies Treats in the microwave, you will never go back to the stove top method! The kids love seeing the marshmallows as they puff up in the microwave. And the finished product? Well, let's just say that there won't be any leftovers to be tempted by once the kids are in bed.
1. In microwave-safe bowl, heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
2. Add Rice Krispies Cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Coat your hands in butter. Form small balls first. Make sure they are fairly compact.
4. Using your thumb, push down in the center of your balls to make a nest.
5. Melt your chocolate chips and use a spoon to spoon a little onto the center of each nest.
6. Place your Smarties into your nest. If you like coconut, you could add some coconut underneath the Smarties to make it more "nest like."